101 Warren Avenue North | Suite A | Seattle, Washington 98109
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Linked In
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
Call For A Free Consultation: 206-504-2720
Default Banner


The lawyers of BK Lawyers LLC practice law from their office in Seattle, Washington. The firm handles legal matters in the following practice areas:

Bankruptcy, Shortsale, & Loan Mods, Immigration and Citizenship Law, Estate Planning, Business Start-Ups, Personal Injury &a…

Learn More ›

Immigration Blog Post

Legal Employment Status in the United States

Federal immigration law requires all foreign workers to obtain authorization to work legally in the United States. There are several categories of work authorizations available, depending on whether your presence in the country is permanent (“immigrant status”) or temporary (“nonimmigrant status”). Each employment authorization category has specific eligibility requirements and conditions, as well as periods of authorized presence in the United States Violating any of the terms of your work authorization, or working without this authorization, may result in your removal from the United States or the blocking of re-entry into the country.

Types of employment authorizations

Federal law provides for the following types of work authorizations:

  • Temporary Worker ― This employment status is available to nonimmigrants seeking to enter the United States temporarily for a specific purpose and wishing to seek employment while in the country temporarily. This employment authorization is restricted to a specific reason or activity for which the nonimmigrant visa was originally issued.
  • Permanent Worker ― Any immigrant who is authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.
  • Students and Exchange Visitors ― International students and visitors may be permitted to work in the United States if they obtain the required permission from an authorized official at their educational institution.
  • Asylees, Refugees, Permanent Residents ― Individuals holding these types of immigration status may receive employment authorization automatically.
  • Temporary Business Visitor ― To conduct a business visit in the United States, you will require a visa as a temporary visitor for business (B-1 visa) unless you otherwise qualify for admission.

Working without proper authorization risks serious consequences such as removal or prevention of future entry into the country. If you wish to seek employment or conduct business activities in the United States on either a permanent or temporary basis, contact the immigration attorneys at BK Lawyers LLC for your free initial consultation about the types of available work authorizations which will best suit your needs.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
BK Lawyers LLC
101 Warren Avenue North, Suite A
Seattle, Washington, 98109 USA